FCPS Earth Week 2021: Restore Yourself, Restore our Earth
April 19-23, 2021
With the stress of the pandemic, we all feel a need to restore ourselves. What better way to restore ourselves than to spend some time outdoors connecting once again to the Earth?
This Earth Week, Get2Green wants you to go outside every day from April 19-23, 2021. Whether you have your own private outdoor space or a favorite shared space, take some time each day to enjoy being outside. Make observations of the nature around you. How do you feel when you are outside? Let your time in nature foster conversation and learning about environmental topics that are essential in developing as ethical and global citizens who are stewards of the environment.
Here are some ideas for outdoor activities to restore yourself and help restore the Earth:
- Take a walk around your neighborhood or local park. Try to identify native species along your way.
- Read or write beneath a tree.
- Use sidewalk chalk to draw what inspires you or makes you feel peaceful.
- Let nature inspire your drawing, song or other creative outlet.
- Integrate a simple act of green into your daily routine. Take a shorter shower! Turn off lights when you leave a room!
- Take a garbage bag on your next jog/walk. Use gloves to pick up any trash you find along the way. Recycle anything you find that can be recycled.
- Plant a native tree, shrub or flower. Watch to see what pollinators visit your plant.
- Sit in the grass. How many living things do you see around you? What do you smell? What do you hear?
- Look up at the sky. What do you see?
- Find an activity in the Fairfax County Field Journal to complete outdoors.
- Project Learning Tree’s 12 Nature Walk Activities for Earth Day